substance painter

B is for Ben: 3D model texturing by Rok Andic

Here is the final textured model of Ben. If you look at the environment concepts post you can see that I initially had blue details in mind for his suite. I really liked that idea of contrast, but once I put it in 3d he just looked odd. He looked more like an aquanaut rather than an astronaut. So I started playing with warmer colors and decided for a more orange/brown colors for the suit details. It instantly looked better and his space suit didn’t look like it belonged underwater.

I also added some model details before I started texturing. I decided to add a small computer/button panel with straps on his chest. It looked a bit empty when I made the final sculpt so I added it just before going into texture. I was going back and forth with small gadgets and what would work and what not and in the end decided to stick with a small button panel.

Workflow

I did all the texturing in Substance Painter. For initial fabric pattern I used Substance Designer and then added all the grit and dirt details in Substance Painter. I really like how patterns are easy to create in Designer and used as a base in Painter where I can add all the details. I am also one of those who uses a lot of layers. So whenever I add some scratching, tear or wear I always do everything on a separate layers so I can come back and remove every single effect if I need to. It also means that sometimes I just get lost in all those layers :)

When everything was painted I exported EXR UDIM’s to Houdini where I connected everything together to create the final look you can see below.