bisforben_shortfilm

B is for Ben: 3D model texturing by Rok Andic

Here is the final textured model of Ben. If you look at the environment concepts post you can see that I initially had blue details in mind for his suite. I really liked that idea of contrast, but once I put it in 3d he just looked odd. He looked more like an aquanaut rather than an astronaut. So I started playing with warmer colors and decided for a more orange/brown colors for the suit details. It instantly looked better and his space suit didn’t look like it belonged underwater.

I also added some model details before I started texturing. I decided to add a small computer/button panel with straps on his chest. It looked a bit empty when I made the final sculpt so I added it just before going into texture. I was going back and forth with small gadgets and what would work and what not and in the end decided to stick with a small button panel.

Workflow

I did all the texturing in Substance Painter. For initial fabric pattern I used Substance Designer and then added all the grit and dirt details in Substance Painter. I really like how patterns are easy to create in Designer and used as a base in Painter where I can add all the details. I am also one of those who uses a lot of layers. So whenever I add some scratching, tear or wear I always do everything on a separate layers so I can come back and remove every single effect if I need to. It also means that sometimes I just get lost in all those layers :)

When everything was painted I exported EXR UDIM’s to Houdini where I connected everything together to create the final look you can see below.

B is for Ben by Rok Andic

It’s new year and for me it’s time to start working on the next film in “The Mellifluous Peculiar” series. I have been thinking a lot about which film to start after “A is for Al….” and have decided for a comic, easy going sci-fi story I have written a few years ago. The title of the film is “B is for Ben” and the script is more or less finished. I’ll start preparing some concept art which I’ll post on this blog.

I should also note that with this film I’ll post as the film comes along. I started blogging at the end of “A is for Al….” and thus I could only present finished material of the finished film. With “B is for Ben” you can expect more “work-in-progress” material which means more raw material as it happens. Hopefully you will find this interesting and get a better look at making these short films.

Happy new year to everyone and hope you already work on some wonderful project. And if you don’t, why not make it happen by starting one of your own :)

IMG_0074.JPG