Though I’ve mainly used this week to rest from Animation Mentor I also had to finish James’ character setup since it wasn’t fully finished. There was always a doubt whether or not I’ll need cloth simulation which I tried to avoid at all costs since cloth simulations are very time consuming and quite hard to set up, even though the results can be very rewarding.
Since I have all the shots blocked in quite nicely I can see I actually don’t need as much cloth dynamics as I thought at first. I decided to go a bit simpler route via proven and solid way by creating a few joints to allow overlapping of jacket tail and using blendShape controls for other parts. For now it seems it’ll work pretty nicely. It might not look like the best cloth sim out there but the results still seem pretty nice and I’m happy I didn’t rush the decision before. If I would start working on cloth from the start I would probably have spent too much time on it and the results wouldn’t be any better at all since the shots just don’t call for it.